Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Update!

Here is another prompt from our syllabus:

What combinations have we been working on? Which ones are easy/fun to do? Which ones are the hardest for me? Why?

Some of the things we have been working on are:
Barre work:
Tendus and degages
Plies/ balance in retire
Rond de jambs en terre and en l'aire (90 degrees)
port de bras (circular) and cambres

Center:
tendu, degage, grand battement
Balances
Pirouettes (1/4, full)

Across the floor:
Chasses
Chaine
Pique Turns


I really enjoy tendus and degages, because they force me to focus a lot on holding my turnout and it helps me to improve on that. I also like rond de jambs, because I have flexible legs and I love doing arabesques. However it is also something I want to improve--I do not have a very flexible back and I'm doing yoga now to help with that.
Balancing on one leg is harder than I thought--doing it in first or fifth is completely fine, but once I have to go up to retire or passe it kind of all fall apart. Some of it is that I am not all that comfortable in ballet shoes--I know for a fact that if I were in jazz shoes I would be totally fine (I've tried it!). It feels much different in ballet shoes...it actually hurts the ball of my foot A LOT which is why I can't hold it or balance. Something work on...I might look for new shoes as well as mine do not fit great.

As for center, I love doing our battements because I've always loved kicking! Its taking so getting used to to use only my abs and legs, as opposed to a plie or prep like in jazz and cheerleading. I also need to remember to slow it down a little bit and not have it be a really fast kick. I also really like learning to turn but it is something I need to work on. I used to have a pretty good double but have kind of lost it. I also really do not like turning on the floor in the studio, because I am used to turning on hardwood for dance team. My main problem is FOCUS and its something I am trying to work on! (I feel like yoga is starting to help me with that).

Same kind of goes for doing chaine and pique turns. Im working on focus so I can spot accuratly and for piques, I need to work on keeping my body tight and keeping my working leg in the correct placement (heel forward, toes on knee, and not sticking my hip out). Once I can remember that I think my piques will be pretty good.

Overall, with over half the semester done already, I am feeling pretty good. I think I have improved a great deal and am looking forward to taking classes this summer and pushing myself harder.

xx Eugenie

1 comment:

  1. You've made some really good observations here - Break down the balance in releve on one leg for me. Which way are you falling? Is it hard to maintain the position or just the balance? How does it change from flat to releve? Also try this: instead of working your weight towards the first two toes - try working your weight towards your third toe - that might give you more stability - particularly if you have very flexible ankles...

    ReplyDelete